Join the Girls Rock! DC Team!
Come support Girls Rock! DC by joining our amazing team. Find open roles below.
- Instruction Associate Internship: Assist our program team in teaching our five core instruments (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, keyboard) during programming!
- Equipment Associate Internship: Assist our leadership in organizing, maintaining, transporting and cataloging our musical instruments and equipment!
- Outreach Associate Internship (spring position filled): The Outreach Intern helps get the word out about Girls Rock! DC’s programs and events!
- Fundraising Associate Internship (spring position filled): The Fundraising Intern helps Girls Rock! DC raise money to support our programs.
ABOUT GIRLS ROCK! DC INTERNSHIPS
Girls Rock! DC interns support and assist in delivering in person programs for youth and adults, as well as year-round activities. Girls Rock! DC interns should have a strong commitment to Girls Rock! DC’s mission and a commitment to social justice, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. Experience in non-profits or other community organizations is a plus, as is experience with music education or youth empowerment programs. Interns commit to work 8-15 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks and will be:
- Compensated $600-$700 per month, depending on skill and time commitment.
- Eligible to receive school credit or community service hours as applicable.
Interns may work remotely from home in the DC metro area, from the Girls Rock! DC storage unit, or from the Girls Rock! DC office in Columbia Heights. Interns are managed by the Co-Executive Directors.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Co-Executive Directors in weekly one-on-one meetings.
- Must have access to their own computer.
- Must be familiar with Google apps, Slack, and Canva
*English is the primary language used in Girls Rock! DC communications and in programs.
INSTRUMENT INSTRUCTION INTERN (SPRING, SUMMER, OR FALL)
The Instrument Instruction intern works with the Program Coordinator and Lead Instructors to teach instrument lessons to youth and adult campers during programs. This position also helps formulate and develop curricula in keeping with program needs. Experience in music is essential for this role, particularly on guitar, bass guitar, keyboard, drums, OR vocals. This position works both in-person and remotely. This role involves the following responsibilities:
Instruction and band coaching:
- Under the guidance of the Program Coordinator and Lead Instructors, the Instrument Instruction Intern will teach introductory lessons on their instrument of specialty (one of the five mentioned above) to youth and adult participants of Girls Rock! DC programs.
- This will also include coaching and encouragement of small groups of musicians as they write their own original songs.
- The Instrument Instruction Intern will assist in the execution of end-of-program showcases, acting as guides for campers and helping with the smooth running of the show.
Curriculum and data management:
- The Instrument Instruction Intern will assist the Program Coordinator with the development and recording of program curricula, organizing this information in a centralized hub.
- Intern is expected to attend at least two Girls Rock! DC Showcases or special events during the period of internship. This may include: Camp Showcase, Open Mic, Volunteer Meetups, or others.
EQUIPMENT ASSOCIATE INTERN (SPRING, SUMMER, OR FALL)
The Equipment Intern helps to organize and maintain Girls Rock! DC’s musical and program equipment. Experience caring for musical instruments and an ability to repeatedly lift up to 50lbs is a skill set well suited to this role. This role requires in-person work at the Girls Rock! DC office and storage facility. A drivers license and reliable transportation are ideal for this position. This role involves the following responsibilities:
Maintenance and organizing:
- Assist in the organization and data cataloging of GR!DC’s musical instruments and equipment at our storage unit.
- Assist in the evaluation of and maintenance of musical instruments and equipment, including cleaning and minor repairs, also determining a need for larger repairs.
Transportation and setup:
- Transportation of musical instruments and equipment to and from programs and showcases.
- Assisting with equipment setup and movement during programs.
- Assisting with fundraising events like the Gear Sale
- Intern is expected to attend at least two Girls Rock!DC Showcases or special events during the period of internship. This may include: Camp Showcase, Open Mic, Volunteer Meetups, or others.